Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Coffee break




I try to get out and paint , most of the time,
but when I don't feel like painting ,I go into
cafés and draw people . I find that drawing
for me is a good challenge , especially drawing
people. When you draw a tree or a house , there
is no problem because the tree or house won't
move . People come to buy their coffee , they
sit down for a while and they're on their way .You
have to be quick and draw the basic shape or form
and if you have time , you can alway define your
drawing .It's observation all the time .You also
have the fear factor. People are uncomfortable with
the thought of having someone drawing them without
their conscent .I remember , once I was in a café
and decided that I was going to draw one of those
fancy coffee machines , the ones that makes the latté
and the cappuccino coffees .I didn't feel like drawing
people that day . I set out to draw and I saw a woman
close to where I was . After fifteen minutes time ,I
notice that the lady was observing me and made me
realise that she was uncomfortable and thought that I
was drawing her portrait.I showed her what I was draw-
ing and she was very releaved knowing that it wasn't
her that I was drawing . I know of another artist who
had a simular experience as me but he was drawing a
person and when that person saw her portrait , she
demanded to recieve half the profits on the sale of
this portrait .You really have to be discrete when
drawing someone and if you can ask the person for her
or his permission to draw . This is a watercolour that
I did from a drawing done at a local coffee shop .

For purchase info : marioantinozzi@yahoo.com

No comments: